submissions are currently closed.
we are currently reviewing for the upcoming issue. we will reach out to those who submitted in the next few weeks.
please check back later for the next open call!
Rituals & Ceremonies
From the tiniest-most-secret personal ritual, to the grand ceremonies that mark major life moments, rituals and ceremonies help us transcend towards something greater than ourselves.
Rituals can connect us with our spirit. In them, we can find moments of magic, spaces for faith, and assurance amidst chaos. Ceremonies unite us under a common purpose. They are beautiful performances that exist outside of the norm. Like a play, they have their customs, costumes, and drama.
For this issue, let us be witness to your rituals and ceremonies. Take us through your nightly ritual or plop us in the middle of a baptism. Take us to new realms, where every action and object takes on a new meaning.
We welcome prose, poetry, photography, comics, mixed media, and whatever else you can come up with that fits in a magazine.
Rituals & ceremonies are deeply personal, we all have different vantage points.
Here are some points of interest we want to explore:
- Rites of passage, initiation rites
- Morning & night rituals
- Compulsion, anxiety
- Reassurance, faith
- Religious ceremonies (baptism, communions, etc.)
- Societal ceremonies (graduations, coronations, etc.)
- Audience: the act of witnessing
- Customs: traditions, history
- Arrangement of space, people, and objects
Details for submitting
We are looking for work that is in line with the following:
- Work is unpublished
- Nonfiction & Fiction: 2500 words
- Poetry: 3-4 poems; 5 pages max
- Visual Art: longer series as well as individual pieces are accepted
- Advertisements: we accept ads for bands, tattoo shops, radio shows, small businesses, and other independent organizations
- We do not publish epic poetry
- We are interested in the liminal, unique, & zany
- Progressive, socially in touch work
- We welcome transgressive, radical, and esoteric voices
- We are inclusionary
What we expect from our contributors
- Respond in a timely manner (within a week is ideal)
- People who are open to forming dialogues
- We are working to develop art that is approachable and accessible
- We will not tolerate hate speech
Written submission REQUIREMENTS
- 12pt, sans serif font
- No formatting
- Standard margins
- Word Doc or Google Doc
- No PDFs or image files
Visual submission REQUIREMENTS
- We accept .jpg, .png, .psd, and .pdf files
- Please make all images as high-quality as possible
- Image scans are accepted, but please have access to higher-quality versions